fbpx

Sixth Form Life at King Edward VI School

Anoushka joined King Edward VI School in the First Year and is now the Head of School and in her final year in the Sixth Form. We caught up with her about studying, King Edward’s School and what’s next…

Anoushka, you’re now in your last year at KES! How have you found life in the Sixth Form?
I love it! For me, KES provides the perfect balance. There’s heaps of teacher support, but also opportunities for independent study. There’s lots of career support and advice, but still a focus on the ‘right now’ through sports, music, arts and clubs. Throughout sixth form, I’ve been given the opportunity to take time out and experience something new, from power boating and cooking to learning sign language – it’s been such a great way to detox and grow as a person.

What sort of support did you have throughout Lockdown?
One of the things that made me stay at KES for A Levels was the structured lessons. And even through Lockdown, that didn’t change. Our lessons went ahead as normal, albeit via Zoom, but the teachers were always there for support. For me, it really helped retain some normality throughout the pandemic.

What attracted you to stay at King Edward VI School instead of alternative colleges?
Having been at KES throughout secondary school, I knew that by staying on for my A Levels I would still benefit from a high level of support. The classes are really small, which means your
teachers get to know each student individually and you’re able to build relationships quickly.

The Sixth Form facilities are also fantastic. We have the ‘concourse’, which is our own break-out space for catching up with friends and grabbing coffee. There’s also lots of study centres which I find great for quiet independent study. And we have comfy sofas and a table tennis room for when we need a break!

What sort of support have you received when considering your next stage, University or career options?
The careers team are amazing! When I started Sixth Form, I had an in-depth consultation with one of the careers advisors. We talked about career options, gap years and University options. Since then, I’ve had regular check-ins with the careers team to see if I’m on track – which has really helped me to stay focused. KES have also organised for professionals to come in and talk to us about their career and impart really useful advice, honest insights & answer our questions.

I’ve also been able to join MedSoc, a society completely dedicated to medicine. It’s been a great way for me to really explore medicine as a subject, career and secure relevant work experience.

What are you hoping to do next?
I’m hoping to study medicine (fingers crossed!).

To book an individual tour of King Edward VI School or find out about our Virtual Information Evening on the 22nd October, contact Mrs Sheppard registrar@kes.hants.sch.uk