Post A level

RESULTS DAY: Always on the third Thursday of August. Please come into school.

CLEARING & Post Examinations Clinic - see Leavers' Booklet (Please note that on page 3 of the booklet, the Post Examinations Clinic may occur on the second or third week in August. Please check the school calendar for the specific date.)

UCAS Exam Results Helpline:  0808 100 8000


All students who leave us, having completed their Sixth Form education, are provided with a Leavers’ booklet [in electronic form, sent via email and parental bulletin].

We very much hope that Leavers will keep in touch via the Edwardians site and let us know if there are any changes to their destination at university.

As is made clear in your Leavers' Booklet, you have a vast resource to draw upon in the Edwardian body. Use linked-in and our own facebook links - especially if you need to look for internships in the future.

You may find the information below - covered in your Foundation Studies programme - of use in any future employment applications. Good luck!

There is a wealth of practical advice available to you via the UCAS web pages all aimed at helping you adjust to independent living. For advice about money, accommodation, or any difficulties you might experience, look at the various UCAS TV tutorials and browse HERE to find out about all the support you can get once you've left school.

PQA Help

For those many students who decide to apply after they have taken their examinations [Post Qualification Application or PQA], the school continues to support them through the process and a guide, including the current ‘BUZZWORD’, is provided within the Leavers’ Booklet to help them make their application. Students are advised to register through the school if they can make their application before 30th October, thereafter, they will need to use the  'independent' route and the school will still provide the HE reference upon request from UCAS.

However, please note that if a student decides to re-take examinations via a different examination centre, the school will need to be notified of the new examination centre's predicted grade. In such exceptional circumstances, students are advised to use the 'independent' option [i.e apply 'as an individual'] within UCAS and then to ask their private tutor[s] to email their KES tutor with their prediction. This will then be added to the school's reference where the source is verified.


VI Form Tutors will still be available - by appointment - to offer help and advice wherever that is requested. Students are expected to keep in touch with their ex-tutor to facilitate this process.When independent students request a reference, they should enter: The school will then attach the reference that has already been prepared as long as this request is received during our active UCAS period. We cannot process any requests outside of term time. 

Any student who wishes to make a direct entry to the UCAS clearing system after receiving his/her results, must do so during the Post Examinations Clinic, and notify staff there that a reference will be required. As staff will be on annual leave at this time, it is important that due warning is given if a reference may be needed during the holiday period. Please use to request a reference.

Students should keep in regular contact with their UVI tutor, who will process their application. We do ask that students make their application in the September term immediately following their departure and it is important that they allow sufficient time for the application to be processed – 10 working days after ‘submission’.

The school UCAS system closes down in the penultimate week of the Autumn term and access will not be possible after that date.

Any student who is struggling with his/her application is invited to an evening clinic of advice held on the school’s Open Evening.

Erratum pages 10 & 12: requests for references for independent applicants should be made to:

Predicted grades for re-sits must be communicated to KES tutors via an email from an official examinations centre or accredited private tutor.

Advice for A Level Results Day

Making a direct entry through CLEARING for entry into university this year

Some students may, when they see their results, decide that they want to see if they can secure a place for university THIS autumn, even though they declined to go through UCAS during their Upper Sixth year.

This is possible, but needs to be done – preferably in situ – at the PEC or Post Examinations Clinic. This is because a reference is needed. Furthermore, it is sensible for you to seek advice and to consult the information available to you at the PEC so that you don’t make a false ‘jump’, just because there is urgency over clearing.

If you need any further information about ‘clearing’, the main UCAS web site offers a very thorough explanation of the process. In practice, the ‘bargain’ places at good universities are snapped up within a few hours, so you do need to be determined and persistent.

  • First of all, look at the UCAS Clearing website and find a course which (a) attracts you, and (b) requires the same grades or points that you have achieved.
  • Contact the university. This will inevitably require persistence as the phones are often jammed on results day. Success may involve you redialling many, many times. Remember: you are in competition with everybody else and places go in a matter of minutes. Keep your nerve!
  • Once you have established that you are eligible for the course in Clearing you will need to register with UCAS. If you did this as a practice run, you will now need to begin anew but slightly alter your details: for instance, include your middle name or an initial to make a distinction between this and your first, invalid application.
  • Let someone at the PEC know what you are doing.
  • Apply as an INDEPENDENT candidate in order to speed up the process.[ select 'individual']
  • When you are ready to add a personal statement, simply write “I will supply a personal statement by email if absolutely necessary”. This saves you time and anxiety and doesn’t seem to have any impact on outcomes as, at this stage, universities are only really interested in your grades.
  • You will need a reference and if you want one from the school out of term time, will have to ask for one at the Post Examinations Clinic and discuss the course for which you have applied. Thereafter, please make a request through
  • Finally, press “pay and send” and off you go.

Good luck.